English Lead Instructor
SciTech2U is seeking an experienced and dynamic English Language Arts instructor to lead a team of highly motivated instructors, interns and volunteers who will provide tutorial services in English Language Arts to K-12 students. This is an excellent opportunity for adjuncts, graduate students, newly degreed undergraduates, retired instructors, or writing professionals desiring teaching experience or shifting careers.
- Bachelor’s degree in English or Education/Humanities subjects (History, Psychology, Social Sciences, or similar field), with a minimum of 12 credit hours in English/writing subjects
- Experience teaching children ages 6 to 18 in a classroom, camp, museum, or other educational/academic enrichment setting
- Passion for engaging children in English language arts learning
- Strong public speaking and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel, and Word and virtual learning platforms (Blackboard, Zoom, Microsoft, etc.)
- Experience with tools and methods of assessing and teaching writing and mechanics
- Spanish language proficiency is a plus
- Ability to understand, design, and effectively implement detailed lesson plans
- Patient and empathetic with a big heart and a desire to support students through challenges.
- Collaborative in approach of leading others with the ability to inspire them toward achievement
- Ready, willing and eager to be flexible and pitch in when and where needed
- Entrepreneurial in thinking and a creative problem solver
- Experience supervising others in an education setting (including volunteer experience) highly desirable
- Availability during after-school hours (3:00 pm to 5:00 pm), once or twice per work week, to perform instructional/tutorial services, and at least one additional hour during the week for administrative work.
- Maintain close contact with executive leadership to receive/provide information, discuss issues, and explain guidelines/instructions
- Advise and coach STEM instructors, assistants, interns and volunteers on curricula/lesson plan implementation, teaching methodologies, and class management techniques.
- Perform instructional and tutorial activities in small groups (3-5 students) and one-on-one tutoring
- Participate in periodic training and staff meetings, as required
- Perform administrative and reporting activities as needed
- Willingness to work in face-to-face and/or virtual environments
- Assist executive leadership in the design of creative and exciting, grade-appropriate hands-on learning activities and lesson plans
- Support students during independent and workgroup time.
- Work as a member and lead instructor of the English Tutorial Team across multiple locations in Montgomery County, MD, in-person and/or virtually.
- Must agree to and pass a criminal background check.
- Maintain COVID-19 guidelines including wearing of face masks, practicing social distancing, and sanitizing as mandated by CDC and MCPS
- Working irregular hours, weekends, holidays, and evenings may be required.
- Availability to work during afterschool hours (3:00 pm – 5:00 pm), Monday through Friday during academic school year, September-June, and summer session (8:30 am – 3:30 pm), Monday through Friday over the course of four weeks in July
- Attendance at meetings with executive leadership and trainings as required
- Unofficial copy of transcript
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to bend and stoop repeatedly.
- This is a contract, part-time position based on program offerings during the academic school year, winter and spring breaks, and summer sessions.